Tuesday 3 March 2015

What's in your pocket

I have been in Grenada six months now and while it isn't home I catch myself saying "we" and "us" when referring to social problems or NEWLO activities rather than "they or "their".

I am also starting to feel more confident about fitting in with the staff at NEWLO. Don't get me wrong they have always embraced me, but now I feel like we know each other and I can ask for what I want. One of those things is to start doing small icebreakers with the staff to help them find energizers that they can use in the classroom.

I have started compiling a list of all kinds of icebreakers to help create a training tool box. In my perfect world when I get back home in July I will put together a real toolbox for each department with resources they can use in their classes- like a tennis ball for tossing ideas around, a deck of cards to divide students, a ball of sting for spider web activities. But for now experiential learning will have to suffice.

One great icebreaker is "what is in your pockets". The idea is that what you carry with you says a lot about you, or your mental/spiritual state. So I thought I would share what is in my pocket...

First, nothing I wear to NEWLO has pockets. Also I never bring a purse- you do not want to manage two bags on a Grenadian bus unless you have had years of practice. I do always bring a big ugly grey laptop bag.

So obviously my laptop. It is so important to me right now. All my work for NEWLO is on it and while I do have it backed up, if I lost the laptop it would be catastrophic.

Next a bright pink umbrella. My drive to NEWLO takes somewhere between 30-40 minutes. (I would strongly prefer that it take 45 but no one will drive at such a reasonable pace.) On that trip I will go through bright sunny spots, downpours, grey clouds and rainbows. All this to say you absolutely never know what the weather will be. Many times we have been at Grand Anse and looked over to see it raining in Tempe, Belmont and the Carenage while we enjoy blue sky and sunshine. So I always have an umbrella even though it adds extra weight.

I always have my cellphone- words I never thought I would utter. Here a cellphone is a life line. I use it everyday and often. Happily the boys do not have them, and least I have held firm on that.

The other thing I always have is a lipstick. My mother has instilled in me that I shall not leave the house without lipstick on. Here in Grenada it is the only makeup that would stay on, there is no point in applying anything else except sunscreen.

The last thing is my one litre water bottle, although Brother Saul, Ms. Collins and Mrs. Joseph would tell you I am also really good at forgetting my water bottle in the staff room too!

When I first got here the list would have included bug spray, hand sanitizer, Motrin, my camera (not sure what excitement I was going to capture), a handkerchief, pens, and paper. But now I travel a lot lighter.  And I feel a lot lighter.

So the purpose of the activity is to reflect on why these things are important to you to carry them everywhere. My work is very important to me, doing a good job for the teachers at NEWLO will make their lives easier and if I can make any load lighter I want to. My cell is mainly to know what is happening with my family- a definite priority. Water is probably the most important thing I carry, without it would pass out before noon. The last two represent  my need to be prepared and the strong influence my mom has in my life!

There you have it, me in a backpack. I wonder what is in your pocket or purse, and is it important to you? .

No comments:

Post a Comment