Wednesday 29 April 2015

Bringing the Hash Back

Save the date: Saturday August 8th 2015

We don't plan on rope sections in BBQ HHH
That is the day we are going to bring the Hash culture to Brighton & the Bay of Quinte (BBQ). We've created the BBQ Hash House Harriers!

Our motto: Tailgaters with a Running Problem.

Hashing has been such an amazing part of our time here in Grenada. For those new to our families blogs, a hash is a walk or run that starts and ends at the same place. In Grenada they are organized each week in a different part of the country and you hike through the rain forest, along the ocean or occasionally through a flat field. We encounter goats, sheep, donkeys, horses, stray dogs and a monkey (but only when his owner brings him). The run/walk is usually about 1 hour in length and the dinner and socializing goes on until about 7:00 p.m.

So why do I love the hashes so much and why start them back in Brighton?

Where is that? Probably the thing I love the most about hashes is getting to see the country where we are living and getting to places where very few tourists (and Grenadians) have been.

Climbing up a river bed in Grenada
Back home this resonates with me. When we moved to Brighton nine years ago, I started work immediately and never got to explore. Brent would take me down a road and I would say "I have never been down here!"; the worst part, it still happens.

Those of us who travel will often shake our heads in amazement as we encounter people who don't know the next city or state over (usually in the USA), but while we might all know Toronto, Montreal, and Ottawa; how well do we know Salem, Castleton, Orland or Corbyville?

I want to get to know these little towns, the back roads, the farmers fields. I want to hear the local history, see the old foundries and take the path less taken.

Addiction: We have an addition problem in North American. We are addicted to being entertained by screens- TV, movie, computer, tablets and now phones. We need to get addicted to being entertained and inspired by nature.

I imagine everyone reading this can vividly remember going outside and playing in a local forest, creek or farmers field as a child. It was awesome! We would spend hours out there and never want to come in. In fact my mom had an old school bell she would ring to get us to come in because you cold ignore her hollering, but you could hear the bell across at least three farmers fields! [Mom that is an example- not an admission of guilt, we were always only in the forest; just like you told us to be.]

As adults why have we given up the joy of being out in a forest or a field? Or  has the joy of play been replace with these "tough mudder" competitions which pits you against the trail. You don't have to kill it to enjoy it!

Now in Grenada our hashes often involve hiking up so high I feel like my legs cannot possibly keep moving, but I am taking in my environment, appreciating it, not trying to conquer it. You will find that running through a forest is as much fun as when you were a kid. For those of us who aren't runners (me for sure); I think it is even better because there is time to stop and appreciate the beauty around you and of course snap a few photos.
Notice grey hair, thin, thick, everyone is welcome

Social: Hashes are as much social as they are physical. In Grenada they are an excuse to get together on Saturday night and have drinks and a meal with friends. But unlike most social gatherings where it is limited to certain groups like a mess at the base or a seniors group; at a hash everyone is together. This past hash I was walking with a Grenadian family with a five year old and a gentleman from England in his 70's. (Brent says this is because I am always one of the slowest hashers!) What I enjoy is that it doesn't matter who you are, where you are from or what age you are- you can join in.

My friends will tell you I am not the most social person in the world, but I really enjoy getting to know new people and hearing what their story is. For a few hours anyway, and then I need a nap.

I feel like back home people are too segmented. Whether it is the seniors community at Brighton Bay the Bay or Rosalind Estates, we put up visual and real barriers that says 'only these people here'. I want to have a place where we all come together once a week and build a community. I want kids to meet adults outside of coaches, teachers and family friends. I want people new to the community to meet people quickly, I felt like it took me years to fit in. I also want seniors to reconnect with people who are younger  so that they have stronger support system when they need it.

ParticipAction
If you grew up in Canada in the 70's and 80's you remember this program. It encouraged us to find ways to get 15 minutes of exercise into our daily lives. As you will see from the link it is alive and well, because this concept of participating in activity is even more critical than when I was a kid.


Hashing is a really good form of physical activity. When I started I had chickungunya, but apart from that, I found the hashes sooo hard. I wanted to quit, I wanted to go back, I wanted to sit down and just wait a few hours until I could go again! But I didn't, I just kept putting one foot ahead of the next and eventually I got to the end. Each hash I could feel my lungs building capacity, feel my muscles getting stronger and my ankles (which were hard hit by the Chick V) regaining stability.

If there wasn't a hash planned each weekend I would not independently go out for an hour walk. Interestingly, you use the same excuses not to go out for a walk in a tropical paradise as you use back home - it's too hot (cold), the mosquitos are insane, no one will go with me, I have to clean/cook/shop... But when there is a set time and you know others are going too, it makes it easy to plan exercise into your week.

It is important to note that hashes are not races. No one keeps track of who came in when, although I suspect the runners have some  ribbing that goes on. In fact people who try to make it a race are called race-ists. Not what you want to be! The hash is for fun and to strengthen your capacity. When I started I would take the short walkers trail. Now I do the long walkers and the boys will sometimes walk/jog the runners trail. It is all about getting out there and getting moving. The more you do it the better you feel.

Kids:  I wanted to mention how beneficial hashing is for kids. Of course all the same reasons apply to kids for participating: putting screens down, spending time with people, getting exercise, but for kids it really builds self-confidence and a sense of independence.

This week the hash was crazy and we were turned back because it was too dangerous.  At the start of the hash we were passed by two young boys between 7-10 years old. When we got turned back their mom was at the back of the pack with us, and she was worried. Really worried. Where were they?

The thing is she didn't need to worry about them. Other hashers would have taken care of them, encouraged them to either stay the course or come back with them. (They got through the rope course before it got shut down and ran the whole hash, and were waiting to greet their mom at the finish/start line.)

Full disclosure this happened to me with my boys on a hash with lots of false trails. But what I learned was that the boys making independent decisions about which trail and how to proceed made them so proud of themselves. We found them back at the start hanging out, waiting for us. They made a big deal of how much sooner they had arrived. They weren't nervous about being in a large crowd in a strange place, they felt confident and powerful. That is huge.
 
Waiting for us to finish the hash!

I am hoping that parents with children will be able to let their kids go, either with older kids or other adults to help their children build a sense of confidence. And really it is a loop. There will be someone coming up behind to steer them in the right direction and worse case scenario they sit down and wait for you to show up! But loosening the reign in a controlled environment makes kids feel like they can do it and really that is what we all want for our kids.
 
Two weeks ago the boys raced ahead of us and ended up walking with a British couple. At this week's hash the wife came up to Aiden to say hello and pass some information on to him about the sea turtles. That is cool, my 13 year old was able to make a connection to someone he didn't know and they remembered him enough to seek him out.

It is also an opportunity for you connect and spend time with your children, or other people's! I am amazed at how much my kids chat with me on the hash. They help me across creeks, check on my progress and are genuinely connected with me.

Names: Part of the hash culture is funny names, I think it is similar to roller derby in this way. So here in Grenada there is  Pinkpanther, Little Bear, River Stone Annie, Cabin Boy.... I am looking forward to seeing what names people are given over the hashes  back home. I am thinking mine would be Slow Sara or Tetley Tea!

Help: So in order to make these work we are going to need help!

The where- We will need people to give us contacts of local farmers who would let us use their fields, good routes people have run in the past, places to avoid (think hunting season), local festivals or events we can tie into. As an example we really want to do an orchard run for Applefest weekend, but we need some contacts to get permission.

The how- We will need some volunteers to lead the running hashers (not that we will give you the right route- you go the wrong way you take everyone with you). These people are called FROPs (Front of Pack).

We also need people who are BOPs (Back of Pack), this is an important person because it means that we know everyone on that trail came through.

BBQ- Sometimes we will be able to set up BBQs and cookout where we are. Other times we will need professional help! We would like the proceeds from the BBQs to go to local charities so putting us in touch with people who can BBQ at more remote locations will be helpful. Also if you have a BBQ that will travel, bring it along!

Transportation- Most of the time people will have their own means of transportation whether they bike or bring a car. But some people don't and will need a lift. When you can, offer to pick someone in your area up who wants to join in.

Spread the word- We are hoping for lots of people to become regulars. We know life is busy and there is lots to do, but hopefully this becomes a tradition for locals and an activity for those visiting our area. We have created a Facebook page where we will post the event details for each week. GPS and Google Maps make this so much easier in Canada but having good old fashioned directions doesn't hurt. To get updates you need to "like" the page, then the next hash will appear on your Facebook wall. It will also help if you are planning on coming to a hash to click the "join" button so we know approximately how many people are coming.

We also created a static BBQ HHH website where you can get more information or direct your friends to. The Twitter account will be more active once I get back to Canada and can be on the ground to make preparations.

New shoes ritual
What we aren't keeping: Hashing in Grenada involves a lot of drinking and beer related activities like being sprayed by beer, chugging beer for being various reasons, and drinking beer out of new shoes. This is not my thing. For those who think being sprayed with beer sounds awesome, I apologize. I feel that families and seniors would prefer an environment where we stay dry (literally) and sober. Alcohol in moderation is very social, wearing alcohol is just smelly and makes for an unpleasant car ride home.

We are hoping to develop some of our own traditions for new shoes, new hashers and milestones. Ones that everyone can enjoy and participate in. Most importantly ones that don't have you smelling like a bar.

We really hope people will come out. Our first one will start from our home and be Caribbean themed, of course! I plan to make coconut bake, jerk chicken and pelau. Proceeds will go to send a barrel of school supplies to NEWLO.

 Plan to "Jump in the line" and work that body! See you in 100 days.



No comments:

Post a Comment