Saturday 20 June 2015

'Tis a gift


The Hospitality Department has been putting on a staff luncheon each semester, where they can demonstrate their skills, as well as practice serving. On Tuesday the hospitality class again hosted a luncheon and this time it included a presentation to our family.

The room and the tables were beautifully decorated with table cloths and centerpieces. I was so happy to see all the staff, including a staff member from the school for the deaf who works here occasionally, attending. The boys were really excited as there was all kinds of food and they were going to get to be the first table to the buffet!

The meal was an excellent Grenadian fare, fish, chicken, pelau, and salad. The boys told Brent that the chicken was “much better” than his. The fish was done in a wonderful pineapple sauce which was fantastic.

For entertainment a young man sang two calypso songs. Calypso originated "next door" in Trinidad and Tobago and is traditionally a style of music that is a form of political/societal criticism. His songs were excellent about how Grenada was so dependant on the American and western things of the world. My favourite line was something like we eat so much Kentucky Fried we are going to fly away!

Sister then got up to speak. She acknowledged that Aiden and Owen had really sacrificed to come to Grenada with me. She thanked Brent for helping out Mr. James. She noted that curriculum had not existed for the Caribbean Vocation Qualifications and that the National Training Agency had been given a quote to develop it of $250,000. So she was a bit sceptical that it would be possible to do with just one volunteer.
Lucky for me I had no idea that most people thought it was impossible, I just assumed that it was possible. In the past 10 months I have created content to match the CVQ competencies for Cosmetology, Hospitality, Plumbing, Carpentry, General Construction, Early Childhood Development and Garment Making.


NEWLO  presented our family with this beautiful plaque to thank us for our service. Ms. Collins also presented us with a gift straight from her heart, and Mr. Gay presented us with an original piece of art representing NEWLO.

What I appreciated so much was that everything was from the heart, not a “Hallmark” card or plaque thanking me for “contribution” or “ in appreciation of” and then using canned words written by someone else. These were written by the people who really care about me. They reminded me of my colleague Joyce back home, who writes poems for people, she takes time to be kind and thoughtful.

Looking around the room I felt like I had a connection with the 20-25 people in the room. I know about their families, have met their children, they have welcomed me to their homes. They are friends I will miss.

So with ten days left we are starting to pack up our things. And my most valued treasures from Grenada - are the gifts from NEWLO and the memories of times with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment