Thursday 2 July 2015

Goodbye Grenada


A week ago today I delivered the last of the curriculum documents to NEWLO and Sister Margret. I also handed over a USB key with the 500 documents I had created for them in 10 months. I felt really grateful to have been part of such an amazing school. The work was challenging and important and my colleagues became good friends. While I won't miss the ride to NEWLO I will miss everyone in it.
Ms Collin's -Early Childhood

Ms. Francis- Garment Making

Ms. Mitchell- Intro to Health Care & Early Childhood

Ms. Farray- Hospitality- Commercial Foods

Ms. O'Farel- Skills Coordinator

Sister Margaret- my boss and NEWLO Executive Director

Mr. Campbell- Intro to Computers

We decided to rent a car for that day because I had lots to give away. Sister said it was like my last will and testament, bequeathing this and that to various staff members. Once everything was gone, the boys, Brent and I headed up to Concord Falls one last time, then home to grab a bite and get changed for a snorkel at Dragon's Bay. Dragon's Bay also has really beautiful sea glass so Brent and I spent time picking up interesting pieces.

Beacon Primary Students at the canteen
Friday we were able to pick up both boys report cards. It turns out in Grenada that 60% of your final mark comes from your end of year exams!! Needless to say the boys were disappointed with some of their final marks after doing so well up to that point.

Saturday we rented a car with the intention to do one last hash, however because our internet had been shut off on Monday we weren't sure where it was. It turned out to be up by Gouyave and we all decided to go for a swim at La Sagesse instead. Sunday morning we again went to Dragon's Bay where we saw yet more fish we had never seen before.

I am glad we spent the weekend swimming because it took us all day Monday to pack and clean the house. Monday night we had dinner at Umbrellas on Grand Anse Beach and watched the sun go down over the ocean.

So fitting a stray dog would photo bomb my Goodbye

Grand Anse at sunset
Tuesday morning we were out the door at 5:30 and headed to the airport. After security checking every bag we were ready to go. Only somehow we forgot to count our carry on bags properly and were two over. Stuff got stuffed here and there and we prayed they would not weigh our carry-on. We breezed through security and at 7:52 we were wheels up over Grenada.
SGU from the air
It has been an amazing adventure and we are all grateful to NEWLO, CUSO and DND for supporting us.

Now it is on to working on developing my own career couselling and resume writing company. I called my company Ready2Fly because I beleive we are all capable of rising to great heights, something I am certain NEWLO is instilling in its' students.

No comments:

Post a Comment