Tuesday 21 July 2015

The importance of community

The Grenadian National Anthem "Hail Grenada" is a beautiful anthem, however when I first heard it I was a bit confused by this line "...As one people, one family...". That is until I lived there.

In Grenada it is like you are part of one big family. With a population of 110,000 it isn't hard to be able to make connections quickly.


A view of Belmont from Fort George (Port Louis foreground)
The longer I stayed the more I valued the sense of community that Grenadians shared. The area where we lived, Belmont, had been know in the past for some undesirable behaviours and criminal elements. So when we would tell people we lived in Belmont eyebrows would get raised. However we would quickly defend our community and point out that it had changed.

Not only did we embrace our community but our community embraced us. We knew almost everyone's names on our street and they knew ours. "Morning, morning" was called out across the street and down the hill. Coming back to Canada that sense of community is an element I miss from my childhood and from living in Grenada.

I grew up in a town in rural Ontario of 6,000 and it felt like I knew everyone and everyone knew me. I knew whose corn field I was playing hide and seek in; I knew all the store owners and all the members of our church. We were all connected one way or another.

While I doubt that many Grenadians knew me, a few hundred definitely did. I would get stopped on the street and hugged by girls from PAM, yelled at from a passing car by someone from NEWLO, meet my friends shopping at the grocery store or get a wave from a fellow hasher as they cycled by. Everywhere I went I felt connected to people. I never felt far from someone I knew and was always excited when I bumped into someone in downtown St. George's or rural St. Andrew's. Even the street vendors eventually came to recognize our family as a part of the community and stopped inviting us to shop at their store but would instead offer a word of greeting. It felt like being back in my childhood. It felt safe.

Me with the NEWLO school family

But now that I am back in the land of two vehicle households, properties separated by fences, and workplaces with very clear lines of communication, I notice how all these boxes we put ourselves in are breaking down our communities. And it feels dysfunctional.

A few years ago I tried to establish a learning community of practice, and I am big enough to admit it failed miserably. I tried to sell it all kinds of different ways and as a Learning Advisor I found myself so frustrated that people didn't want to learn. But now I am wondering if it wasn't that people didn't want to learn but rather that the notion of building a community- relying on others, trusting them with your successes and failures, and the work that goes into creating and maintaining a sense of community that was the problem.

I have lived in Brighton a town of about 10,000 people for nine years now and, a part from the people on my crescent, have made very few connections and yet in Grenada I made them in less than 10 months. So what is the difference?

I am not sure yet, but I am thinking about. And in the meantime I am going to try again to create a learning community of practice because learning is best when it is shared. People are also at their best when they are connected. I have no doubt it is going to be just as hard as the last time, but this time  I am different. I recognize what a community is and what it isn't; it is not a networking tool, a platform or a resume booster; it is an feeling created through connection.

And I want to build my community where I live as well as where I work. I am hoping the hashes we are organizing will be a place where everyone can get together each week and take in the beauty of our country and connect with each other.

I will always feel apart of the Grenadian community, because I love the country and the people- and I have a sneaky suspicion we will always be tied to each other. Grenadians are great at letting go of small inconsequential things, but I don't think they easily let go of their "family".

It won't be easy but I am hoping that I will be able to take what is so special about Grenada and translate it into action.

No comments:

Post a Comment