Tuesday 3 February 2015

Whatever happened to....


I realize some of my posts might need a follow up so you can find out what happened. I will start with most recent and work backwards:

Iguana

Well it turns out my pleas to save the little guy worked. Maybe it was too much work to cook him or he really was too little. But Iggy lived to see another day, in fact Brent saw him a few days later. Hooray!
 
 
 

Car Accident

The  insurance company of driver who hit us is covering our costs including the loss of use of the vehicle while it undergoes repairs. So we won't be out of pocket anything for the accident.

We all took the day off on Monday just to rest and come down off the adrenaline rush that hits your body in fight or flight responses. We tidied up in anticipation of Nana (Brent's mom) arriving the next day.

All of us seemed to have escaped any muscular injuries. Owen and I both had a massage at an SGU sponsored facility that trains blind Grenadians to be masseuses, which helped to just relax the muscles. A week later we headed to the same beach, and while I still feel a little nervous and look behind us more often I am glad the accident is not slowing us down.

Brent at the Spice Basket's library on cricket

Spice Basket 

After making introduction between the Spice Basket and the Mt Zion Library it looks like there is a desire to partner to bring books and more knowledge of cricket to Grenada. So hopefully in the near future some books from this fabulous collection will be available through the Mt. Zion Library.




Moving Day

About 30 minutes after I had posted what a great help Brent had been, he became really ill. We figured it was probably sun stroke- or he left a tuna sandwich in my office all day and came back and ate it. So sun stroke or food poisoning- either way he was very sick. Happily it only lasted the one day and we got him really well hydrated.

So apart from that drama- the real interest- the house. Well the house is moved and even since these photos were taken there has been work. The roof is now on and it is a matter of all the little things.


 

Why I hate laundry

Owen's pants did not dry in spite of our best efforts. The waist was still quite damp, but honestly you are sweating so much he barely noticed! Here is Owen in "pants" more appropriate for this temperature!
Owen near Bathway in Northern Grenada

Brent and his new hat at Mt. Zion Adult library

Barrel of Books

 Mt. Zion Library is amazing. They now have two part-time librarians, an adult literacy program, story time for children on Friday afternoons and over 500 patrons! The library  has taken over most of  third floor of the building they are in and are in the process of having an Italian artist donate his talents to paint the library! They have even caught the attention of the Prime Minister who was not aware of the library.

The Friend's of  Quinte Library continue to be amazing supporters of  Mt Zion Library and are preparing to send their second barrel of books.

Children's library


They should rename themselves Friends of Quinte and Mt Zion Libraries!

They have definitely been making a contribution to literacy in Grenada.








Thief in The Night and Too Close to Home

No suspects have been arrested in either robbery or attempted robbery. Linda and Myriam both recovered their bags which were thrown away a few blocks from their house but not the laptop- no big surprise there. They have no moved to a different part of  St. George's called the Lime. It is more of a community and they are walking distance to Grand Anse and groceries. It is farther to work for Linda, but just one bus. It is a lot closer to work for Myriam. Nancy was going to be SOL no matter where she lived when travelling to Sauteurs so it really didn't matter for her.  


Chikungunya

Well I still have it, and hey now Lindsay Lohan has it too.( First time ever I have
Well enough to conga!
felt sorry for her.) I am now able to take a Motrin at night and maybe once during the day. Every few weeks I have to take a stronger dose of over the counter anti-inflammatories.

I had worried the car accident might affect the symptoms but it seems to be fine. Mainly my ankles, hands and wrists ache if I don't medicate.

I am super grateful that my mom was here two weeks and didn't get it. Not something you want anyone to contract, even spoiled brat Lindsay Lohan.


TV Free- Still tv free although I apparently missed an epic Super Bowl, snif. Super Bowl here was a non-event so I didn't even realize it was on until I checked Facebook.

Harrier Hash- We went to one in Victoria a few months ago, but weekends are pretty busy. Plus with Chick V as it is called the hard climbs are even harder. Aiden has lessons on Saturday and I am going to start doing some staff training at the library from 11:30-1:00. The hashes start at 2:30.

I met a couple of retired American military pilots at the airport and they were telling me last weeks hash was ridiculously muddy and over 2.5 hours. It started getting dark and there was concern about people getting safely back.

My friend Alistair comes up next week and our plan is to do the hash then; it is a great (if not gruelling) way to see the country.

PAM- I have not been back to PAM since Nov 13th. My program manager in Jamaica  had supported
me leaving much earlier, but I really wanted to see if I could make a difference. After much soul searching and attempts at organizational interventions Cuso agreed to rework my contract so that I could walk away from that placement.

I walked away the last day of being 39. It felt right.

I would have loved to help the young women, staff and children but organizations have to have a growth mindset to benefit from placements and tha was not present.

Every encounter I have  with people where that organization comes up, reaffirms that leaving was the right thing to do.

We have books arriving for PAM on pregnancy and early childhood development and I will ensure that they reach the girls.

 I wish the organization well and that is the best I can do.

Transformations

Owen's classroom is getting a new paint job. Florescent lime green is being replaced with a vibrant yellow.


No comments:

Post a Comment