Wednesday 28 January 2015

Who's knocking at my door?

Just about lunch time I heard a commotion across the street at the local bar. Now cricket is on the telly and that leads to lots of heated and boisterous discussions. But people were moving around a lot and then Juice ran over to my gate and came in.

I was curious, but Juice is a harmless guy who the others often put up on, with jokes and menial labour because he is developmentally delayed. Next thing I knew there was a pounding the front door. But not up high down low. Juice was saying "It is OK Miss Sara. It's OK" . And then there was a sound like an animal thrashing.

Funny how when people tell you it is OK, you immediately know something is wrong! The people across at the bar were yelling to open the front door. I was pretty sure that was a very bad idea.

And here is why...

 
 
Very sadly he is going to be lunch. I tried to convince everyone to let him go. But that option was definitely not on the table. It is really too bad, they are beautiful animals and harming no one. But meat with dinner sounds better than dinner without.
 
Part of me wishes the boys saw him, but Aiden would be crushed that people would kill him. So maybe it is better this way. And really even if I could save him today somebody would have the same idea tomorrow. By Costa Rica standards this guy is wee, but then when you are hunted you don't get much chance to grow big.
 
Juice with the iguana

Juice giving him water because he was very scared (rightfully)
 
Iguana in Costa Rica

Hanging out not worrying about being lunch in C.R.


No comments:

Post a Comment