Sunday 25 January 2015

100th post- It just struck me

Today I realised that this would be my 100th post and I really wondered what I would write about. And then it hit me- literally. Today we were in a three car collision. Perhaps the most angry I have ever been in my life.
Car we were shoved into- yes that is how hard we were hit!

We were on our way home from La Sagesse when we encountered a vehicle at the round about who pulled ahead of us into the intersection. Since he was now blocking our path we waved him ahead. This would be something we would sorely regret.

Farther down the road we encountered the same vehicle stopped on a flat section of the road about 2 minutes drive from our home. We came to a stop as there wasn't any other option as he was speaking to someone in a bus on the other side of the road. And then all of a sudden there was a tremendous crash and I was thrown forward. I looked up and realized we were about to hit the vehicle in front of us which then threw us back in the other direction.

The boys were screaming, I mean screaming that their necks hurt and were really confused. I was furious that someone had hurt my kids, but at the same time knew I needed to get them out of the vehicle in case another car became involved. I know I was yelling at the driver of the car in front of us. In that moment I really wanted to hurt him. But when I pulled open the back door I saw the boys were not bleeding or broken and then I just focused on them rather than being angry.

I actually felt sorry for the driver behind us, I could see it was a work vehicle and it was badly damaged. Even though I knew he was the one who hit us, I blamed the car in front.
Vehicle that hit us from behind

With both boys out of the car they were crying and both were shaking. Thank God there was a sidewalk so at least I knew they were out of traffic. I had the camera in the car so took photos, but I was shaking too and I gave the camera to Brent who seemed a lot calmer- although also yelling. Owen said he thought he was going to pass out and have a bloody nose. Brent suggested we walk home and get the boys water and Motrin.

For the first 15 meters I didn't think I would get the boys home. They both needed support to walk and the sidewalk is not wide enough to do so. Once they realized I couldn't help both, they both just sucked it up and started to march up the hill, tears in their eyes, but up they went.

Owen was definitely the worse for wear. He vomited for about an hour. Aiden called one of his best friends Yana in Canada and that helped a lot. We also called auntie Ceilidh who helped Owen understand that he was allowed to feel scared and cry, because it was really scary.
Our amazing little SUV- licence plate smashed but not much damage
We are all really stiff and sore and I think tomorrow will probably be worse than tonight for soreness. Right now I am super thankful for my Honda CRV. I know it saved the boys serious injury and I am thankful to my Cuso colleagues who have rallied around us. I know my NEWLO colleagues will do the same.

Things are a bit different here. No one was charged. The driver who hit us was not wearing shoes, no problem- only bus drivers have to wear shoes. Beer bottle in the vehicle again, not a problem- not a crime. Yes that is right drinking and driving is not a crime here.

I know our families feel helpless and are worried, but we have been incredibly lucky yet again. A different location, a different car and it could have been much worse. So for tonight I will take lots of Motrin and rub on a muscle and joint pain reliever which was a Christmas gift from my beloved chiropractor in Brighton, Dr, Shaw, and be thankful that post 100 has a happy ending.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! I was so upset to read this entry. It must have been very scary to be involved in a vehicle accident, especially one in a foreign country. I am happy that everyone is alright now. Be safe!
    Rachael (from Goodwin Learning Centre)

    ReplyDelete