Tuesday 30 December 2014

10 Ways to Look Younger

I hate to disappoint, but I have no idea how to look younger, but I might have an idea on how to feel better about yourself.

One of my Christmas gifts was a magazine. I hadn't realized I hadn't seen one in four months until this shiny glossy thing was presented to me. I was eager to tear into as it was one of my favourite magazines "Real Simple". As I flipped through the pages I began to feel a real sense of lack and at the same time desire. Oooh look at that lip gloss and I love that scarf. But then I realized my friend Erin would look much better in that scarf, I can never pull those things off. Wait a minute it is 33 degrees outside what am I thinking of?

For the past four months I have not been exposed to advertising. No one is selling me a lifestyle I can't afford, no 10 ways to do this or that. No how to make quick healthy meals in 30 or 20 or 10 minutes.There is no such thing as product placement in the stores I shop in and there are no magazines on this island so I am not constantly looking at what I don't have. It feels so much better to just focus on what you need- presently that is milk, only one store sells it and they haven't had it in for the past week, and we are officially out after this cup of tea.

The only places that do product placement and store design are the boutique hotels shops and the Port. Yesterday I went down to the Port to get a little something for my sister and everything caught my eye- bracelets, purses, dresses, dip bowls. I wanted everything. I especially wanted the clothes. I have never found my own style, but looking at these airy yachting clothes I thought this is ME! I am light, yet bold; elegant yet casual. But then my hair is crazy and my shoes don't match. Hey there is a salon here and they sell the cutest sea shell sandals...

Leaving the store was a mixture of happiness (I got my sister something) and jealousy- I want those things. But one dress was $230 USD or about a 1/3 of my salary. I had been marketed to and it worked. I had not felt that desire for things in so long I forgot that I was capable of really desiring clothes or shoes or honestly the cutest beer bottle opener that was a fish...

So if you want to look better and feel younger, stay away from magazines that convince you that you need something more to look beautiful or be happy. Also be aware of how you are being marketed to wherever you are, whether it is the convenient chocolate bars at the checkout or the windows of stores.  Most of the time we don't need stuff we come home with, we just want it. But stuff has never made us younger- maybe a little lighter in the pocket but that is about all.

2 comments:

  1. Update- still no milk! Darn SGU students, I think with all the American students home for the holidays the IGA didn't bother with milk. Snif.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come up to Grenville and you will fine milk!

      Delete