Thursday 25 December 2014

Pass by Me

One of my favourite Grenadian turns of phrase is "pass by me"
meaning come and stop to see me on your way.

Today was Christmas and my neighbour had asked me to host some of the neighbours for lunch. So I invited my Cuso colleagues, Mr. Campbell from NEWLO and of course our neighbours. Everyone was going to bring something to put lunch together.

At 10:00 a.m. Meena arrived to say "What was it I was bringing?" That would be a Grenadian fish dish, rice and peas and drinks. Oh! I don't have that. Hmmm. My two tourtieres were in the oven, potatoes were on for a huge mashed potatoes and I had made a soup with the green bananas that Mrs. Douglas had given me on Tuesday. I was totally unconcerned about this turn of events. I am really learning to let go of everything that I cannot control . My mom was concerned. But I reminded her the worst that would happen is people might be hungry and that they would go home and eat a little more! Oh well.

Nancy and Myriam from Cuso arrived with veggies and crackers and cheese as well as cupcakes and the most heavenly dessert that Myriam had made. They were followed closely by Mr.Campbell and a friend of his daughter. Brent let us know Janice and Meena would be late so we started with the crackers and veggies and then on to soup. Just before I got my bowl a steel pan band on a flat bed came rolling by playing "Feliz Navidad". Everyone agreed that just made the day!

Then after Meena and Janice had arrived, I had a special visitor- Mrs. Douglas and her daughter, who had come to pick up her daughter's fiancĂ©! I was so happy she passed by me, and stayed for some Sorel, the soup I had made with her bananas and some tourtiere. It was so lovely to sit out on the deck and be surrounded by all these new friends.

Me & Mrs Douglas at the far end
Meena did bring drinks and a rice dish and in the end there was plenty for everyone, including a plate for Mr. Douglas back in Grenville. Mr. Campbell held court, telling story after story of Grenada and thoroughly entertaining my guests. The poor man is lucky he is a vegetarian or his food would have gone cold, lucky for him it was already cold!

In the end 19 plates of food were consumed, although only 12 at our home, the rest were brought to others. And yet it was no stress, with everyone relaxed and comfortably fed.

At 3:00 p.m. we shooed everyone but our Cuso friends out and then we all headed to the beach for a swim.

It was lovely to have such good company, with laughter and hugs all around.

So when I get back there will need to be more people passing by me, as an unexpected friend is the best Christmas gift. (Although the soft plush slippers my sister gave me are a close second!)

No comments:

Post a Comment