Wednesday 3 December 2014

Surprise- Penguins in Grenada!

Tonight we went to see The Penguins of Madagascar with the boys, a real treat.

There is one movie theatre for the whole country located about 15 minutes from our home by car. It was even in 3D!!

There were lots of little ones with moms and dads. At the very opening of the movie (don't worry I won't give anything away) it starts with snow falling and swirling. The little guy beside us literally jumped out of his seat yelling "SNOW! Mom snow!" It was so beautiful. 

Wonder is a characteristic that is most associated with children and it is an absolute shame that we lose this wonder.  Wonder is defined as "a feeling of surprise mingled with admiration, caused by something beautiful, unexpected, unfamiliar, or inexplicable." We live in a world where too often we utter the phrase "Well nothing surprises me anymore." or "hardly a surprise". If we just reflect on this for a moment we will realize how disturbing this is.

In Grenada it is really easy to be filled with wonder. The sound of the rain coming pouring over the mountain as it progresses towards our home is beautiful (and helpful, if you are lucky you can pull clothes off the line). The rainbows everywhere make you feel like you are in a painting. The colours of the ocean and the roll of the waves are mesmerizing.

I know when I go to work in Canada I catch this feeling when I stop to watch a plane taking off, to me it is awesome, breathtaking and beautiful. It has purpose, drive and a destination. Then I go inside and find no beauty there, little sense of purpose, drive or a destination. But it is there, it just doesn't go zooming by me.

When I get back to Canada I need to remind myself to find wonder and if I can't find it, make it. If you find it lacking too look for surprises, something beautiful, unfamiliar. These things are all around us, we just need to reconnect with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment